Frequently asked questions
Please click the appropriate questions for more information or call our office at 386-248-8048 and ask for one of our business assistance specialists.
- I need planning assistance. Who can help?
- Where can I investigate funding possibilities?
- What options are there for me if my business needs additional equipment?
- Where should I go for hiring and training assistance and funding?
- I need to consider a different facility. Where do I start?
- How do I know I am marketing most effectively?
- Are there grants available for exporting?
- How do I sell my products and services to the government?
- How can I get grants for product research and/or product development?
- How can I learn about women and minority owned businesses?
- How can I register my business as a vendor for the county?
- What research grants are available?
- Are there incentives for hiring more employees?
For other assistance
For the following types of business assistance, contact our offices to schedule an appointment at 386.248.8048: top line revenue growth • labor • facility and product development • capital and financing • supply chain, logistics or other business topics.
- The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) - at Daytona State College is a member of the Florida SBDC Network, a statewide service network that provides one-on-one business counseling. For information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Van Canada, manager, SBDC, at 386.506.4723.
- SCORE - is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration. Comprised of retired business professionals, this resource brings seasoned assistance for all phases of business through a variety of workshops in this area. Learn more on www.score87.org.
- The Florida MEP (Manufacturing Extension Partnership) - leverages a variety of public and private resources and services that are available to every manufacturing enterprise in the state. From strategic to tactical, and opportunity to solution, Florida MEP can assist with providing resources to help maximize profit.
- GrowFL - focuses its efforts on initiatives that strengthen the service offerings of entrepreneurial support organizations throughout Florida and by delivering critical research and strategy support to help second-stage growth entrepreneurs prosper. For information, visit www.growFL.com or contact Virgil Kimball, business retention specialist, Volusia County division of Economic Development at 386.248.8048 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Loan guarantees - In addition to the traditional financing options, consider Small Business Administration and USDA loan guarantees. They facilitate financing by reducing the risk assumption made by the financing entity. Your banker or accountant will be your first source of current information about these programs.
- Export financing - including financing for the foreign buyer, is provided by the EX-IM Bank and the Small Business Administration. For more information, contact Virgil Kimball, business retention specialist, Volusia County division of Economic Development at 386.248.8048 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Industrial Revenue Bond program - Administered by Volusia County’s Industrial Development Authority (IDA), the Industrial Revenue Bond (IRB) program provides an alternative tax-exempt financing vehicle for manufacturers and qualifying 501(C)3 non-profits planning capital investment projects in Volusia County. Download the flyer for information.
- The Sales and Use Tax Exemption on machinery and equipment - is an incentive made available to new and expanding businesses that use such equipment at a fixed location to manufacture, process, compound, or produce tangible personal property for sale, or for exclusive use in spaceport activities (Section 212.08 (5) (b), Florida Statutes). Categories of businesses include:
- new manufacturers,
- expanding manufacturers,
- printing and publishing,
- mining activities,
- repair and labor charges, and
- pollution control equipment.
Applications can be made for the exemption for up to three years retroactively. Contact Virgil Kimball, business retention specialist, Volusia County division of Economic Development at 386.248.8048 or by e-mail at email@example.com for current qualification criteria. Download Tax Advantages for Businesses Sales and Use Tax.
- CareerSource Flagler | Volusia offers personnel recruitment and hiring services, and training cost reimbursement programs. You can place a job order, search the resume database, or perform a job match. You can utilize their web site links to make informed workforce choices by staying current with local economic development issues, labor market information and state business laws. You can partner with CareerSource Flagler | Volusia to offset costs associated with training new employees and upgrading the skills of existing employees. For information, visit careersourcefv.com.
- The Center for Business and Industry–at Daytona State College develops company-specific customized training programs. Contact Frank Mercer at 386.506.4461, by e-mail at MercerF@DaytonaState.edu, or go to daytonastate.edu/cbi. Programs are subject to funding availability.
- The Volusia County Division of Economic Development–provides business site selection assistance for properties throughout Volusia County. We invite you to use www.volusiasites.com, the County’s site selection search engine, to view a comprehensive selection of business properties. You may view property availability and contact commercial realtors or property representatives directly, or, for assistance, contact Pedro Leon, business manager, Volusia County Division of Economic Development at 386.248.8048 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Small Business Development Center (SBDC)–at Daytona State College provides one-on-one counseling to businesses. For further details e-mail email@example.com or contact Van Canada, manager, SBDC, at 386.506.4723.
- SCORE–has over 25 volunteer counselors working out of branch offices in Palm Coast and Daytona Beach. Their counseling services and workshops are free. All discussions with clients and the information shared with them is totally confidential. For information visit www.score87.org.
- GrowFL–a program subsidized by the State of Florida, provides a strategic analysis of how your company can grow including participation in a confidential Round Table comprised of CEOs of local companies. The cost is subsidized by Volusia County. For a list of qualification criteria and further details contact Virgil Kimball, business retention specialist, Volusia County Division of Economic Development at 386.248.8048 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Division of Economic Development provides matching grants for up to $1,000 for the purchase of any International Gold Key package provided by the United States Department of Commerce through the U.S. Commercial Service.
The SBA is currently offering a $3,030 grant to qualified companies towards the cost of export marketing plan development. The cost to the company is $500.
To see if your company qualifies for Volusia County’s matching grant, schedule an exploratory meeting by contacting the Division of Economic Development, at 386-248-8048.
- Individual counseling is available to you through http://www.aptac-us.org, the Association of Procurement Technical Assistance Centers, which connect you to a procurement specialist. If you have questions, contact Virgil Kimball, business retention specialist, Volusia County division of Economic Development at 386.248.8048 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Partners in Applied Research/Matching Grant Program–The Florida High Tech Corridor Council provides matching grants to companies interested in pursuing innovative research for product or technology development. For additional information, contact Virgil Kimball, business retention specialist, Volusia County division of Economic Development at 386.248.8048 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) assistance–is a program to assist women and minority-owned businesses. To determine eligibility as a minority vendor and become certified as a vendor in the State of Florida, click here.
- To register to do business as a vendor with Volusia County, click here.
- Small Business Innovative Research Grant Assistance (SBIR)–provides matching funds to support the drafting of qualifying research grants to federal agencies. Visit www.sbir.gov/about/about-sbir.
- Small Business Technology Transfer Program (STTR)–expands funding opportunities in the federal innovation research and development arena. Visit www.sbir.gov/about/about-sttr.
- Matching Grants Research Program–The Florida High Tech Corridor Council (FHTCC) provides matching grants to companies interested in pursuing innovative research for product or technology development. To learn more, visit www.research.usf.edu/rf/florida-high-tech-corridor.asp.
- Performance Based Employment Incentives (PEI)–Based upon prescribed performance guidelines, Volusia County provides employment incentives to companies creating new to Volusia County jobs. Incentives, ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 per new worker, can be acquired for those companies qualifying within the County’s targeted industry sectors with wages in excess of 115 percent of the County’s average annual wage. Contact Rob Ehrhardt, manager, Volusia County Division of Economic Development at 386.248.8048 or by e-mail at email@example.com for more information.
Volusia County’s manufacturing community:
To find manufacturers by specialty, the following reference section includes Volusia County manufacturers categorized by NAICS code. NAICS is an acronym for North American Industry Classification System. It was developed as the standard for use by federal statistical agencies classifying business establishments for the collection, analysis and publication of statistical data related to the business economy of the United States. For more information on NAICS coding, visit http://www.naics.com.
|23731||Highway, street and bridge construction|
|Halifax Paving Inc.
P&S Paving Inc.
|R&R Industries Inc|
|31132||Chocolate and confectionery manufacturing|
|Angell & Phelps Chocolate Factory|
|31142||Fruit and vegetable canning, pickling and drying|
|Ardmore Farms Division, Country Pure Foods Inc.|
|31151||Dairy product manufacturing|
|T.G. Lee Dairy LLC|
|31181||Bread and bakery product manufacturing|
|Kermit’s Key West Key Lime Shop|
|31193||Flavoring syrup and concentrate manufacturing|
|Golden 100, a division of Jogue Inc.|
|31199||All other food manufacturing|
|Tropical Blossom Honey Company Inc.|
|31211||Beverage and tobacco product manufacturing|
|31491||Textile bags and canvas mills|
|True North Sails & Rigging LLC|
|31499||All other textile products|
|A.V.O.T. Industries Inc.
Complete Parachute Solutions Inc.
DeBary Embroidery Studio
Hot Action Sportswear Inc.
Parachute Laboratories Inc.
Performance Designs Inc.
United Parachute Technologies LLC
|31599||Apparel accessories and other apparel manufacturing|
|Fabra USA Inc.
|31699||Other leather and allied product manufacturing|
|Chaps and Bags
Leon Leather Company Inc.
|All Pro Door and Trim Inc.
Allstar Building Materials LTD
Florida Door and Supply Inc.
Island Shutter Company Inc.
|32192||Wood container and pallet manufacturing|
|The Pallet Exchange|
|32222||Paper bag and coated and treated paper manufacturing|
|32229||Other converted paper product manufacturing|
|Joe Cool Inc.|
|Associated Printing and Graphics
Copy Cat Printing Centers Inc.
Couchman Printing Company
Cubco Screenprinting, Embroidery & Uniforms
Custom Graphic Designs
Digital Press Inc.
E.O. Painter Printing Company Inc.
Florida Graphic Printing Company Inc.
K&S Printing Co Inc.
LMN Printing Company Inc.
Mid-Florida Sportswear Inc.
One Hour Printing
Pharmex, Division of TimeMed Labeling Systems Inc.
Proforma Corporate Images
Pro-Tech Printers Inc.
PS Printing and Marketing Inc.
South Daytona Instant Print
Tip Top Printing Inc.
Universal Designs Inc.
Wright Printery Inc.
|32521||Resin and synthetic rubber manufacturing|
|32541||Pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing|
|Gambro Renal Products Inc.
|32551||Paint and coating manufacturing|
|Color Wheel Paints and Coatings
Palm Paints and Wallpaper
|32562||Toiletries preparation manufacturing|
|Concentrated Aloe Corporation (CAC)
Energizer Personal Care, Ormond Beach
Product Quest Manufacturing Inc.
Tropical Seas Inc.
|32599||All other chemical product and preparation manufacturing|
|32612||Plastics packaging film and sheet (including laminated) manufacturing|
Piedmont Plastics Inc.
|32614||Polystyrene foam product manufacturing|
|Imperial Foam and Insulation
|32619||Other plastics product manufacturing|
|American Industrial Plastics
ConSol Bermuda Ltd.
K&M Plastic Products
Polymer Fabrication Inc.
Southern Plastic and Rubber Compan
Strasser Enterprises Inc.
Team Plastics Inc.
|32711||Pottery, ceramics and plumbing fixture manufacturing|
|Libby Ware Studios|
|32721||Glass and glass product manufacturing|
|Hogan Glass Corporation
|32732||Ready-mix concrete manufacturing|
|Tarmac America Inc. - DeLand|
|32739||Other concrete product manufacturing|
CDR Systems Corp
Dixie Septic Tank Inc.
Hanson Pipe and Precast
Seminole Precast Manufacturing Inc.
|32799||All other nonmetallic mineral product manufacturing|
|Cardinale Marble Inc.
Eterna Urn Company Inc.
Letter Memorial Studio
|33121||Iron and steel and tube manufacturing from purchased steel|
|Custom Tube Products|
|33131||Alumina and aluminum production and processing|
|Ideal Aluminum Products
Porta Products Corporation
|Sewer Equipment Company of Florida Inc.|
|33211||Forging and stamping|
|33231||Plate work and fabricated structural product manufacturing|
|Advanced Welding Inc.
Atlantic Central Enterprises Inc.
Central Modular Systems Inc.
Extreme Welding Works Inc.
Fabco Metal Products LP
Steelmaster Industries Inc.
Superior Sheds Inc.
|33232||Ornamental and architectural metal products manufacturing|
|Architectural Ornamental Metals Inc.
DeLand Metal Craft Company
Eddy Storm Protection Inc.
Independent Glass and Door Service Inc.
Modern Screen Products
S&B Metal Products
Weather Guard Inc.
|33261||Spring and wire product manufacturing|
|AAA Fence Company of Daytona Beach|
|Advanced Machining Inc.
AO Precision Manufacturing LLC
Custom Machine and Design
Daytona Tool and Die Company Inc.
Delta Machine and Tool Inc.
Falcon Industries Inc.
Fore Innovations LLC
Hall Machine Works
Hosack Engineering and Developing Organization Inc.
Insight Precision Tooling Inc.
Magga Products Company Inc.
Mark Gerard Machine Inc.
Prime Machining Inc.
Universal Packaging Machinery Corporation
|33281||Coating, engraving, heat treating and allied activities|
|Braddock Metallurgical Inc.-Daytona
Decorative Electro Coating
FBI Systems Inc., Specialty Coatings Division
Mil-Spec Metal Finishing Inc.
PJR Enterprises Inc.
Powder Coating by Coolrides
Powder Tek Innovations Inc.
|33299||All other fabricated metal product manufacturing|
|Almar Metals Inc.
Better Barricades Inc.
Kingspan Insulated Panels Inc.
|33329||Other industrial machinery manufacturing|
|Creative Form Products
Daytona Systems LLC
MAT-VAC Technology Inc.
Sparton Electronics Florida Inc.
Viking Industries Inc.
|33331||Commercial and service industry machinery manufacturing|
|Aqua Pure Solutions LLC
M.C. Mieth Mfg. Inc.
Pure Solutions Inc.
|33341||Ventilation, heating, air-conditioning and commercial refrigeration equipment manufacturing|
| AiReed Filter Products
|33351||Metalworking machinery manufacturing|
|Ameritech Die and Mold South Inc.
|33361||Engine, turbine and power transmission equipment manufacturing|
|Advanced Manufacturing and Power Systems Inc.
Alturdyne Power Systems Inc.
|33391||Pump and compressor manufacturing|
| Complete Dewatering Pumps and Wellpoints Inc.
Delta P Carver
|33392||Material handling equipment manufacturing|
Superior Handling Equipment LLC
|33399||All other general purpose manufacturing|
|AC Hydraulics Inc.
Bellows Tech LLC
Custom Filling and Packaging Systems LLC
Lean Engineering Inc.
Standard Bellows Inc.
|33429||Other communication equipment|
|Speedcom Communications Inc.
|33441||Semiconductor and other electronic component manufacturing|
| Intellitec Products LLC
RAF Tabtronics LLC - Florida Operations
Teledyne, ODI Inc.
|33451||Navigational, measuring, electromedical and control instruments manufacturing|
|Allied Time USA Inc.
Custom Laboratory Equipment Inc.
Eltec Instruments Inc.
Power Plus Inc.
|33512||Lighting fixture manufacturing|
|Sunset Lamp and Shade
|33531||Electrical equipment manufacturing|
|Contec Electronics and Assembly Inc.
Entech Controls Corporation
KVAR Energy Savings Inc.
L&S Enterprises LLC
M&M Systems Inc.
Tel-Tron Technologies Corporation
|33593||Wiring device manufacturing|
|Thomas & Betts/Homac
|33599||All other electrical equipment and component manufacturing|
Gamma High Voltage Research Inc.
|33621||Motor vehicle body and trailer manufacturing|
Southeastern Truck Tops Inc.
|33631||Motor vehicle engines and engine parts|
|33632||Motor vehicle electrical and electronic equipment manufacturing|
|British American Auto Repair Inc.
Metra Electronics Corporation
|33637||Motor vehicle metal stamping|
|Florida Production Engineering Inc.
|33639||Other motor vehicle parts manufacturing|
|33641||Aerospace product and parts manufacturing|
|Advanced Composite Solutions
Laminar Flow Systems Inc.
Tara Technologies Corporation
|33661||Ship and boat building|
|Boston Whaler Inc.
Brunswick Commercial and Government Products Inc.
Everglades Boats by Dougherty
Mystic Powerboats Inc.
|33699||Other transportation equipment manufacturing|
|Crane Performance Products
Daytona Twin Tec LLC
Eurosport Daytona Inc.
FinishLine Racing School
Mooring Products International Inc.
|33711||Wood kitchen cabinet and countertop manufacturing|
|A Creative Touch
AdaLite Cabinet Manufacturers Inc.
Advanced Interior Concepts Inc.
Carter’s Cabinetry Inc.
Counter Solution Inc.
Lifetime Cabinets and Interiors Inc.
Masterpiece Cabinetry Inc.
New Kitchen Concepts Unlimited Inc.
Spruce Creek Cabinetry Inc.
|33712||Household and institutional furniture manufacturing|
Miles Manufacturing Co.
Something Different Cabinets
The Cole Shoppe
|B.A.B. Bedding Manufacturing
|33792||Blind and shade manufacturing|
|Florida Plantation Shutters
|33911||Medical equipment and supplies manufacturing|
|American Ortho-Tech Labs
Command Medical Products Inc.
FHT Inc., a subsidiary of Baxa Corporation
Florida Manufacturing Corporation
Germfree Laboratories Inc.
Video Dental Concepts Inc.
W.R. Kershaw Inc.
|33992||Sporting and athletic goods manufacturing|
|CN Screening Inc.
Fusion Fitness Designs
|33993||Doll, toy and game manufacturing|
|Bob’s Space Racers Inc.
|Al’s Sign Company Inc.
Architectural Building Specialties
B&C Signs Inc.
Brochure Displays Inc.
Central Florida Street Signs Inc.
Daniel’s Wholesale Sign and Plastics Inc.
DeLand Sign and Design
Don Bell Signs LLC
East Coast Signs and Awards Inc.
Federal Heath Sign Company
Gano Signs and Graphics
Kenco 2000 Inc.
Luma Brite Technologies LLC
Morris Sign Company Inc.
PJ Sign Systems Inc.
Southeastern Lighting Solutions
Speedway Custom Photo Lab
Towsend Signs Inc.
|33999||All other miscellaneous manufacturing|
|Shoreline Silks and Floral Supplies
Stewart-Marchman-Act Behavioral Healthcare
The Ward Company
UCP of Central Florida
|42312||Motor vehicles supplies and new parts merchant wholesalers|
|Brothers Performance - East
|42346||Ophthalmic goods wholesalers|
|42369||Other electronic parts and equipment merchant wholesalers|
|Sato Labeling Solutions of America Inc.
|42449||Grocery and related product wholesalers|
|Captain Foods Inc.
|44122||Motorcycle, boat and other motor vehicle dealers|
|Carl’s Speed Shop
US-1 Marine Parts and Dyno Service Inc.
|Palm Casual Pipe Furniture
|44419||Other building material dealers|
|Overhead Door Company of Daytona Beach
|44529||Other specialty food stores|
|Moore Fine Foods Inc.
|45399||Miscellaneous store retailers|
|Daytona Trophy Inc.
|Daytona Pennysaver Inc.
Halifax Media Holdings
The Observer Newspaper
Volusia Pennysaver Corporation
West Volusia Beacon
West Volusia Pennysaver
|54121||Accounting, tax preparation, bookkeeping and payroll services|
|Pace Analytical Services Inc.
|54151||Computer programming services|
|56132||Temporary help services|
Vision HR Inc.
|56149||Other business support services|
|MacData Background Screening
|56191||Packaging and Labeling Services|
|Co-Packers of America Inc.
|56292||Materials recovery facilities|
|Makarios Scrap Metals
|62151||Medical and diagnostic laboratories|
|Accord Clinical Research
Avail Clinical Research
DaVita Laboratory Services
|81131||Commercial/industry machinery and equipment repair and maintenance|
|Electron Beam Solutions Inc.|